Detecting a Leak
A gas leak will give off a smell of rotten eggs. This is because natural gas is injected with a harmless but odorous substance called mercaptan.
If you see dirt blowing around, bubbling water or discolored vegetation near a buried natural gas line, you may have a leak.
Beware of a hissing or blowing sound near the gas meter, gas appliance or piping.
Suspect a Leak?
- Move to a safe environment.
- Put out any cigarettes, candles or matches.
- Don’t switch on any lights or appliances.
- Leave your doors open as you exit the building.
- Do not assume that someone else will report the condition.
- Leave the building and call us at 1-800-639-8081 or 911