South Burlington, Vt. – Mother Nature is sending over a foot of snow our way and VGS wants to ensure safety is top of mind during the snowstorm.
Here are some important reminders to consider as the snow starts to pile up:
- Keep gas meters free from snow and ice – use a broom, not a shovel, to clear snow from your meter assembly and vents.
- Keep exterior sidewall vents clear – if a vent becomes buried in snow or blocked otherwise, equipment may shut down or draw exhaust fumes into a home.
- Report all gas leaks – Natural gas and propane have an odor similar to that of rotten eggs. Leave the area right away and call us at (802) 863-4511 if you think you smell natural gas.
- Test smoke alarms – It is important to have smoke alarms on every level of the home, inside each sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. If possible, smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Test carbon monoxide alarms – Carbon monoxide (CO) is colorless, odorless and tasteless. Exposure to even small quantities of CO can cause flu-like symptoms. Higher levels can be dangerous. Test and replace CO detectors as recommended. Properly maintain and vent your appliances. Never use a gas stove to heat your home and do not use a generator indoors or near the home. If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 or local fire department, seek fresh air and remain outside.
- Programmable Thermostats – For the severe cold, we recommend keeping your thermostat steady at a comfortable temperature by temporarily disabling the setback feature on your thermostat. Your furnace will not work as hard to get up to temperature and it will improve the comfort of your home. (Our energy experts say it’s ok to enable the setback feature once the cold snap has passed.)
- Sign up for our 24/7 Service Plan – We know how important it is to keep your family safe and warm during the harsh days of winter. For emergencies, our service team is on hand 24/7. Sign up today and gain peace of mind all year long.
For more safety information and details about our 24/7 Service Plan, please visit vgsvt.com.
VGS is a leader in energy efficiency and innovation, offering a clean, safe, affordable choice for over 54,000 homes, businesses, and institutions in Franklin, Chittenden and Addison counties. The company plays an important role in Vermont’s clean energy future by displacing higher-emitting fuels, offering renewable natural gas service, and delivering award-winning energy efficiency programs. VGS is leading the country in the development of local renewable energy generation and has targeted a 30% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and becoming Net Zero by 2050. For more information about Vermont Gas visit www.vgsvt.com